Sunday, October 25, 2009

Painting again...

Force Publique: Day 1 progress


Well, after six weeks of no painting I actually picked up a brush and started painting again today. Needless to say, not on anything that I have already started but on a whole new army, if not a new period. My little boy said that he wanted to play a wargame next weekend and having discussed some options he has settled on a Darkest Africa game. Now, Mr Copplestone's DA figures were the first metal 28mm ones I ever bought and I have a substantial number of them. Many are actually painted (although the early ones not very well). I decided we would do Azande against... Well, that is the problem. I don't have any historical opponents for them. I could field a British Colonial force (and may well have to) but I suddenly got it into my head that I could paint a whole Belgian army in a week. Yes, I know that my usual output is six figures a week but I am home for the next seven days.

I have to have an abdominal operation tomorrow and have been advised to spend the rest of the week recuperating. Hopefully, this means some painting time. Of course I may be too tired and having never had a general anaesthetic before I may have a stroke and end up dead or a vegetable. My wife is full of happy stories about people she knows who went in to have a wisdom tooth out and ended up as a vegetable. This would be annoying as it would mean I would have failed in my attempt to live longer than the 50 years maximum most men in my family seem to achieve. But I have looked at my lead pile and it is vast so this should give me enough kudos with the Lead Gods to channel the force in my favour.


Anyway, I jolly well need to come out the other end as I have just seen the first photographs of Mike Owen's new Indian Mutiny range for Mutineer Miniatures and they are completely lovely.


Hope to be back soon!

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back in the saddle, LH. My 2 years as a trainee were spent painting Foundry's Darkest Africa range - I was so pleased at finally having a regular salary that I put myself on Foundry's standing order. I really should get around to basing them....

    The summer before I started at the firm I had all 4 wisdom teeth out and I suffered no problems (at least not that I'm aware of). The most humiliating part was having a rather charming Australian nurse administer a suppository prior to the operation and the most annoying part was having to go on liquids only for a week after the op with the consequent, er, issues when I went back on solids! Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine and hope all goes ok.

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ps Are we going to get some wines in before I vanish off to be a father?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tempted to say "break a leg" but it may just give more ammunition to your wife! :o))

    ReplyDelete